Built in 1914, the historic White Shield Home, located at 5210 South State Street, is being considered for Tacoma's Local Register of Historic Places. The Landmarks Preservation Commission reviewed a preliminary nomination on January 23, 2019 that was put forward by the current property owner.
Abandoned for several years, it was originally known as the White Shield Home, a maternity home for young girls and women in need who often had nowhere else to turn. It was built by the Woman's Christian Temperance Union, a group that was active in the prohibition movement in the 1920s. The building was designed by the architects Bullard & Hill, who also designed the old downtown YMCA building on Market. It became a nursing home in the 1950s, then again a home for unwed mothers in the 1960s, known as Faith Home.